- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Coconut oil
- 1 lb tomatoes, cubed*
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 14 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 baked sweet potato cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or basil, finely chopped
- Cut meat and chop vegetables. Preheat large pot on low heat, coconut oil to coat and add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium, add pepper and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, quinoa, chickpeas, sweet potato, broth, salt, pepper and bay leaves; stir, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add peanut butter and stir. Do not worry if you see uncooked quinoa seeds or peanut butter doesn’t mix well with stew. Cover it and let stand for 10 minutes – it will take care of before mentioned issues. Add herbs, stir and serve hot.