- 2 medium-sized bunches of kale
- 1 tsp. salt (for water to cook kale)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 PKG Mild or hot Turkey Italian Sausage
- 3 cups low-sugar pasta sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- 2tbs + 2tbs finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1cup+ 1cup grated mozzarella cheese, regular or reduced-fat
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 9″ x 12″ lasagna-type glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan, squeeze sausage out of the casings, and saute until the sausage is cooked through and nicely browned, breaking it apart with the turner as it cooks. When the sausage is done, add the pasta sauce, dried basil, and ground fennel. Stir to combine and let the sauce simmer 20-25 minutes, or until it’s thickened and the liquid is reduced.
- Add the salt to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Trim stems from the kale, then cut the kale into ribbons about ½ inch wide. When the water starts to boil add the kale, lower heat so the water is gently boiling, and cook kale 4-6 minutes or just until it barely starts to wilt. (Some kale is much coarser than others; start to check after a few minutes so it doesn’t get overdone.) Drain kale into a colander in the sink and let it continue to drain while you prepare other ingredients.
- In the casserole dish, layer 1/2 the drained kale, 1/2 the sauce, 2tbs grated Parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat with another layer of kale, sauce, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 20-25 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and cheese is starting to brown.
- Let the mock lasagna sit for about 5 minutes before you cut it. Serve hot. This freezes well and can be easily reheated in the microwave.
Nutritional Facts: (entire recipe)
Calories-1660 Fats-100g Carbs-66g Protein-139g