- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil, or coconut oil
- 2lbs ground turkey, extra lean
- 3lbs cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 14oz can tomato sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 x 14oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown long grain rice, uncooked (white, and quinoa works great also)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs (dill, parsley, green onions) & Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat large deep non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl olive oil to coat. Add onion and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium – high, add turkey and cook for 10 more minutes, breaking into small pieces and stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low – medium, add cabbage, cover and let it cook for a few minutes so it will be easier to stir. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, rice, water, salt, pepper and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 55 – 60 minutes. Do not open! Check if rice is cooked and if not (mine was) add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes. Serve warm topped with Greek yogurt and herbs.
Nutritional Facts; (1/6 serving)
Calories-400 Fats-6g Carbs-45g Protein-44g