- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow, bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tbs. cumin
- 1 tbs. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle of your favorite beer (I used a Corona)
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans
- ½ cup of maple syrup or agave (Walden Farm’s pancake syrup is a great option!)
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, or if you have an Instant Pot just use the Sautee option. Season the beef and sausage with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add the beef and sausage and cook, stirring often, until browned and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium-low, or keep Instant Pot on sauté option. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic, stirring well to coat. Add a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and cinnamon and stir and mash it into the pepper and onions. Cook, stirring often. Add the beef and Italian sausage into the mixture. Pour in the bottle of beer.
Add the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, beans and maple syrup. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer, or just turn your Instant Pot on the warm option. Simmer and cook until it’s thickened to your liking.
I added some fresh sliced avocado, reduced fat shredded cheese, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and some chopped chives!